There were reports in the print media regarding the phasing out of the iconic Bajaj scooters the following year. It did not come as a surprise, what was surprising though was it took so long for Bajaj to literally drive away their sentiments.
I rode the Bajaj Super during post grad, and also for couple of months into my first job. Super was a superb scooter. Great mileage, zero maintenance. And I was enjoying the whole experience of tilting it to ensure the fuel reaches its lungs and it is kicked into "vrooming" life. I drove long distances on it, and one point of time it was the talk of my institute, thanks to the back seat falling off, and a dear batchmate of mine, in all desparation to catch the bus hitch hiked on my Super braving the protruding rod in the centre. It was a sight worth capturing.
In the days of walkie talkie sized cellphones, it was not possible to capture this memorable scene on the mobile phone. But this moment has been permanently etched in our memories, and we still talk about it during our batch re-unions or social gatherings.
I moved onto a Hero Honda Passion, and then to an expensive but safe Santro, and I do miss my Super.
Alvida..mera pyaara Bajaj Super.
No comments:
Post a Comment