Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Good Shepherd

In the morning today, I was saddened to read about the passing away of a cricketing legend, David Shepherd.

David Shepherd and Dickie Bird were the epitomes of umpiring when I started watching cricket. Shepherd was accurate, jovial, strict, and unbiased. Both the playing teams respected his decisions. He had his old world charm around him. The ugly Sydney Test involving India and Australia couple of years ago would have never happened if he had officiated the match.

I still remember the jig he used to do whenever the score was a Nelson. This was an event where cricket lover was looking forward to see whenever Shepherd officiated in a match. And he never failed to entertain.

His legacy continues in the form of umpires like Simon Taufel and Aleem Dar, but we will always miss the Good Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment